Tuesday 27 March 2012

Paint effect week: mobile phone holder


Hello bloggers,
Ready to tame your sewing machine, because it's Gio's day and it usually means fabric and stitching. This is probably one of the reasons why I admire her work so much (I can't tame *my* sewing machine).
Today, she uses the paint on canvas (the sticky type) with a brayer not only to make the background, but to transfer images too.
I will let her explain how she made those stunning samples.. 


 I put some drops of Fresco Paint London bus,Metallic glaze, Haystack on an plexiglas sheet ( you can use the craftmat as well). I 'splat' the canvas sheet on the plexiglas, moving it slightly, then I roll over the brayer on the plexiglass and then on the canvas, until I get the desired look. 
Let dry if you want to add more colours between layers. When the background was dry I used a piece of sequin waste and some Distress ink to cover the white parts of the canvas.

To transfer the image, I put enough Fresco Paints Snowflake on the canvas, I spread it with the paintbrush and then I put the image face down. I rub with the fingers or with the brayer the image to smooth wrinkles and air-bubbles. After a couple of minutes you can gently peel-off the back of the image, or you can wait until is dry and then use water and the finger to remove the back of the image. To finish the transferred image I put some drops of Claudine Hellmuth Glossy medium on it. I added some stamped details using Archival ink Plum and Impression Obsession Swirl stamp and a script stamp from Paperartsy HP1006.

To make the pochettes I just folded in three parts the sheet of canvas on reverse and I sewed it along the borders; I drew a small triangle on the corner, then I opened up the pochette and I flattened it on the mat: I sewed a little triangle (see pictures) . I turned the pochette on the right side and I added sewed details. For the lock I made a button from Viva Pardo clay and I stamped with Obsession Swirl stamp. I added another small button and some fibres along with canvas beads.



For the mobile-phone holder I cut a long strip of canvas, I folded in three parts and I sewed it along the borders on the right side of the canvas . I hand sewed a button, put an eyelet and add some fibres.

With the leftovers of canvas I cut two tags, I transferred an image and I added sewn details along with some fibres and canvas beads. I stamped the sentiment using Stampers Anonymous - Tim Holtz: Just thoughts and Archival ink Plum and Jet Black StazOn 

Clever tip of the day
To make the canvas beads, I cut a painted Sticky back canvas in long triangular strips. I just rolled them using the sticky side instead of glue.









 

Fresco Paint London bus, Metallic glaze, Haystack, Ice blue, Snowflake
Distress Inks Broken China, Mustard seed , Barn Door
Impression Obsession Cover a card -Swirl 
Viva Pardo jewellery clay: lavender jade - Coral
Stampers Anonymous - Tim Holtz: Just thoughts




8 comments:

  1. This is an amazing technique (sorry I use that word for your work every week).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just incredibly beautiful and wonderful !!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are just stunning. I didn't realise you could stitch this canvas - I thought the needle would get all 'sticky'. Something else to try! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, these are fantastic!!!

    Shelagh xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely and funky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic ideas - really love the beads! Haven't made those since I was at school!!
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  7. One again Gio has made beautiful projects. I haven't tamed my sewing machine yet, but I am determined to try my hand at making a phone holder !

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful are these.... such stunning work Izzy, well done.
    I love them all Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.